Saturday 31 May 2014

FLIP-The Grain


A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to nab a ticket to Printout Bristol organised by Mag Culture and Stack with the help of Bristol Independent Publishers. It was a glorious night of printed goodness, featuring a panel of editors creating born and bred Bristolian magazines. Featured was (from left to right) Daniel Humphry from Off Life a free bi-monthly magazine packed with beautiful and hilarious comics, Rachel Taylor from Another Escape, which describes itself as a 'creative exploration' it showcases inspiring individuals from around the world, Mike White from Boneshaker, a quarterly publication documenting the beautiful things that happen when people and bikes come together and finally Rosa Park from Cereal, a quarterly magazine about travel and lifestyle with a very minimalist style. I have ordered Volume 5 and I cannot wait to show you all this beautiful publication. 

The discussion about the printed world was insightful, ideas about magazines becoming less transient instead becoming collectable objects, more technical questions about distribution and printers and the the inevitable Is Print Dead? question. (which of course the answer the was no.) Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to grab Volume 6 of Cereal (which was so new we were told to be careful as the glue was still drying) however I did manage to snatch an Off Life and this new magazine titled The Grain. I thought I'd do a quick flip through to show you all. I was really impressed, it features some interesting articles and some gorgeous photo sets, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Volume 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment